Sunday 17 August 2008

I HEART LIVERPOOL

"A scouser - How awful!"
I had to go all the way to California to hear those words coming from a British woman. My good friend and fellow Liverpudlian, Tracy was talking to a store holder in the farmers market in Burlingame where she lives with her hubby Peter and their two dogs Skooch and Lucy Lou. We were both flabbergasted with the womans reaction to our accent.

A woman on the Trek America tour also had an issue with the Liverpool accent. She expressed great relief that my friends accent wasn't 'too strong' as she didn't care much for the scouse accent. I wasn't given the same compliment as my accent is much stronger, and leaves no doubt about where I am from. I didn't realise how ugly prejudice was until it was staring me in the face.

I studied dialects on my MA course in uni so I have always had a great interest in different accents. I have always thought such diversity should be celebrated and I think it would be a boring world if we all spoke, looked, and dressed the same.



I HEART LIVERPOOL
http://flickr.com/photos/clarencecoconut/sets/72157606795068335/

No comments: